Having a broken pelvis has really screwed up my life. Though I am feeling better and have been back to work this week, I still can't seemed to get things to go back to normal. So since I have been sitting on my couch, drinking a glass of wine and having a private pity party, I have decided to share with you all of the reasons having a broken pelvis SUCKS.
1. I hate not being able to take care of myself. When I was first injured I actually needed Leland to wipe me when I peed. It was a good thing that I didn't poop until 4 days after the injury because I was able to wipe my own ass. Sort of. I doubt it got very clean though.
2. I couldn't even take a shower by myself. I had to sit on a folding chair and Leland had to bathe me. When I took my first solo shower while standing Leland and I did a celebratory shot. Of course we waited till I was comfortably on the couch before we started drinking.
3. I missed 4 weeks of work. The doctor told me that a pelvis can take 6-8 weeks to heal. Lucky for me I am a medical anomaly and healed in just 4. But I still missed 4 weeks of work and have barely paid any bills this month. Now I have to catch up on paying my bills AND figure out a way to pay my medical bills. AWESOME.
4. I am getting more soft around the middle than I usually am. The very day I broke my pelvis I bought a new pair of jeans that are a size smaller than I usually wear. (high fives for me). Then I had to sit on my ass for four weeks and I am noticeably larger than I was before the accident. My smaller jeans still fit, and in fact they are a little loose, but my belly is definitely bigger. This does not make me happy.
5. Standing for long periods of time is still difficult. Today I stood for 3 1/2 hours at work. By the beginning of hour number 2 my entire body hurt. My feet were sore, my legs we aching and my pelvic area was on fire. When I got in my car to go home I melted into the seat of my car like it was the first time I sat in WEEKS.
6. It sucks feeling like I am not a productive member of society. Yes I am working again, but when I get home I have no energy to help Leland out around the house. He is like a single mother. He has to take care of me, take care of himself and the dog. He cooks, he cleans, he does the laundry. He mows the lawn and cleans up the dog poop. And he still goes to work and band practice. He does all of this with minimal complaining. I just wish that I can help to make things easier for him.
7. I feel like I have lost myself a little. I used to have so much energy. I used to want to write all the time. I used to be a better blogger. Now I only have energy to refill my wine glass and walk back to the couch. I wonder what happened to the spitfire I used to be. And I want to have her back. I am the most impatient person in the world and waiting to heal is the hardest thing I have ever done. I hope like hell that when I am all well and can workout again and have energy to do everything I used to do that the person I was will return. Minus the rollerblades, of course.
It's crazy how one thing can have such a huge affect on so many aspects of your life. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, and as you fully recover, I just know other things will start falling back into place. Hope you're back to feeling 100% soon!
Awww! This makes me sad. :(
I'm glad you are better, BUT remember to take it easy, okay? It could do it again!
And, you are just so sweet. Reading you is like reading someone who opened up her heart and put it all out there.
Leland sounds like an awesome guy and you are lucky to have him taking care of you and you WILL get better to where you aren't in pain from standing and stuff.
You are in my prayers!
Yeah, I'd be glad I didn't poop the first day too! LOL
Oh honey, don't be so hard on yourself! You need to HEAL that cootchie!
Remember that little vow, "In sickness and in health?" Well, Leland stepping up is just Leland doing what he promised to do. If the situation were reversed, you'd do the same for him too. And he would love you for it, just as you love him.
you will be back to normal in no time. Remember they said 6-8 weeks to heal, so that includes your mental health, sweetie.
A painful life lesson learned. Listen to good advice. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Patience, grasshopper. You will feel better soon enough.
You need to put the energy you have into healing and feeling better - physically AND mentally!
You broke your pelvis I think you've earned some sympathy and a pity party! I can't even imagine how it must have felt and how it feels to not be able to fully take care of yourself. Sure it sounds nice after a long day but the reality is always so much worse. Good for you though for getting back up on your feet and out there in just four weeks! I'm such a baby that I probably would have gone weeks over how long it normally takes to heal.
I always have a hard time getting back into blogging after I take a break. I feel like I have so much to say that I don't know where to begin or that I just can't think of anything to say at all. Both leave me forcing myself to blog again because I know that I do enjoy it even if it doesn't feel that way after an extended break!
Wow you deserve a couple of pity parties for what you have been thru..Glad you are starting to get back to normal.. if there is one.
I imagine the goal of 700 has been hampered as well.
Take care xx
Can I join your pity party? I'll bring my own shot glass! I know just how you feel Ally! Well, actually you had it worse than me b/c I could do more.... But my recent surgery has knocked me on my ass too. I can't think, haven't felt much up to writing and can't hardly focus in the day to day! So I can understand where you're coming from a little, I promise you! But I'm so sorry that you're so down right now. The only good thing about hitting rock bottom with zero energy like you and me is that it can only go UP from here! Chin up, drink up and find your spirit again! Call me if you want to vent together! Hugs, Mandy
WOW...so sorry to hear about the after math. And so glad you are better.
Hang in there! We all love you!
You'll get there. Really - you will. And then you'll miss having Leland do all that stuff around the house. Trust me on this.
Im sooo sorry darling that you are hurting. I hope that every day leads you to a better day!!! xxxoo
I can totally relate to some of the things you're feeling--I hate having to depend on others too, and I hate when I feel like I'm not pulling my fair share between Music Man and I. But remember, hon, you need to take it slow. Don't want any setbacks, right?!?
I'm sure you will be back to normal in no time!! Patience, my dear. You can do it!
I'm just glad you have Leland. When I was on my back for only 4-5 days, nothing got done around here and I was super pissed about it. You can make it up to him when you are all better.
Awww man, I'm sure what you're going through is horrible and confusing. But you know what? I have NO DOUBT that you'll be back to yourself before long. Because you have the fire in you. I can feel it. The bottom line is that you won't let this take who you once were... it's just taking you a while to get back there. Just give yourself the time you need and know that you will be back to your old self at some point.
And I wish I could give you a big ole hug right now, because I know how that makes me feel better... :(
that sucks balls. At least you are getting better slowly but surely. Leland-good job watching out for my girl!
There is nothing wrong with having a pity party for yourself. You really hurt yourself. That is so great that Leland is being so great to you. It takes a lot for a guy to do everything and not complain! You can tell how much he loves you by that. You will get back to your old self soon enough. Just take it easy and you will be back soon enough!
Don't feel like this needs to be your last vent. This is your place and we're here to support you! Talk it out as much as you need.
I'm sorry that you're feeling this way, and I'm sure time will help ease this for you. You will bounce back and as you do so, you'll feel better about yourself again!
You will get back that spitfire. I am sure of it. I am also sure that this has caused at least a little bit of a down part in your emotions, completely natural. I bet you are closer with your husband, and when you are healed you will make up for the missed days of nookie and get that middle firmed up again. You are so strong and so positive all the time.....you are allowed this right now. Don't feel bad about it.
And if it makes you feel better, my husband had to help me pee on our wedding day. At least I got that out of the way.
And if you want to be a piss poor blogger for awhile, who cares. We love you and will still be here!
ignore my email about whether you have been tied up with work stuff. That's too bad about your lack of energy :-( I hope it won't take the full 8 weeks to heal....remind me not to rollerblade -ever. And I like that last sentence. May you never get on rollerblades again. Not at this cost!
Keep up the hope that you'll be 100% soon.
And give Leland a big hug for all that he is doing with minimal complaining. Times like this that you see what your spouse is made of - and he's proved himself 6 times over by now!
Leland is freaking amazing!
Also, you'll get back to yourself. I have no doubt. I've been reading you long enough to know that!
This whole broken pelvis thing sounds very sucky indeed!
I'm sure within the next 2 weeks you'll be back to your spitfire self! Just be patient, and keep your wine glass full:)
Aw, I'm so sorry that this had to happen. Just take it slow and take care of yourself. This has got to be frustrating!!! *hugs*
Lady, it sounds like you're leaps and bounds ahead of where most people are with this kind of injury. Clearly, your pelvis wants to back to doing what it does best.
You know, dirty things.
Be good to yourself and allow your body some leeway. And feel free to post as much as you need to about your recovery.
We'll still be here to cheer you on!
So sorry you are feeling bad still. Hell, enjoy Leland doing everything, this will not happen or atleast it doesn't happen at my house.
I'm sorry you're not 100%. It will take some time to get back to your old self. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Sounds like Leland is a good guy. You're lucky to have each other.
If I could, I would hug you! I haven't read the other comments, so I apologize if I repeat what someone else has said -- but give yourself time! I know you feel like it's been forever, but even though you are 'healed'... Well, you've still got more to do. I don't know how to explain it, I just know I saw it with my husband after his injuries and surgeries (and there have been a few!!) -- I think it has to do with you BEING so full of life and then HAVING to be still. It confuses you inside and out. Be patient with YOURSELF and your body. I have seen my husband go through many things, and he has bounced back better than ever -- you can too, I know it!
No matter how quickly you were able to go back to work, your body still needs time to heal. Give yourself a break--after all, you only break your pelvis once. (RIGHT?) Hang in there!
I'm glad you are on the mend and starting to feel better.
Its gonna take a while longer - somethings like broken bones healing just can't be rushed any.
Hugs. I'm just glad to see you up and about again.
Speaking of healing, hows the dog you rescued doing? (and you doing with the bills from that? some of us could still help out some there).
I didn't know you actually had to sit on a folding chair in the shower. Aw :(
I know the whole pelvis ordeal totally sucked, but maybe it's given you a new appreciation of life...maybe? AND it will make a killer twist in your novel!
My hubby had a broken pelvis when he was right out of high school. His grandfather accidently pinned him between the combine and the truck! Ouch! He was into kick boxing back then and it was great because he was able to get healed so he could continue his work out but he said it took a while to heal completely. Hugs to you! I like it over here!
Post a Comment