Monday, September 14, 2009

Working For A Living

I’m on the lookout for a new part time job. The animal emergency clinic that I was employed at part time let go all of all of their relief staff. I was one that got cut. This bothers me for several reasons including I’ll be losing the awesome discount on animal care, I will no longer be able to work with animals, and I’ll be losing out on some extra money.

I liked my schedule at the emergency clinic because I was able to choose it myself. If I didn’t want to work weekends I didn’t have to. If I was really short on money I was able to work 5 days a week. It was perfectly flexible. Since that option has now been taken away from me, I’m not really sure what I should do. I don’t necessarily need a second job, but it really helps to support my travel habit. Leland and I really want to take some big trips next year, and in order to do that I’ll need a second job.

So what should I do? I have considered working in retail, but then I would probably have to work at a store that wouldn’t tempt me to spend all of my money at the store itself. I had originally considered applying at Borders or Barnes and Noble, but you all know about my book problem so working there would probably be counter-productive. Yes, I would have a ton of awesome books, but no extra money would make it into my bank account. Shoe stores would also be out, as well as clothing stores. I would have to find a place that sold things I wouldn’t buy, like Babies R Us or a Christian book store.

I have also considered being a waitress or bartender. I have never done either of those things, but I’m sure I could figure it out. There are a couple of restaurants in the town where I live that I am pretty sure I could get hired at. I know the owners of two of them and I have been told they would give me jobs if I ever wanted one.

The only other thing I am thinking about doing is being a pizza delivery girl. For some reason I have always wanted to do this. The only problem with this is I would be using our one car so Leland would be left without wheels whenever I was working. I think it would be fun and I would pretty much be on my own which would be nice. And I love to drive.

In January I will start my job search. I thought about looking for one right now but I am pretty busy in the next few months and don’t want to piss off an employer by asking for so much time off. I am sure I will apply everywhere I can think of and hopefully I will be able to find something that makes me happy. That is my biggest requirement. I already have one job that I’m not super thrilled with; I refuse to have two jobs I dread going to. But maybe just knowing that I am working the second job so I can afford to travel will make me happy. We’ll just have to see.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with your search and I hear ya! I also think the drawback to retail is the holidays...the people, the hours, etc. I'm looking for flexible part-time as well. Waitressing isn't that bad, it depends on what kind of restaurant though. If you want decent tips, I don't recommend working at a family restaurant. I did in college....let's just say fam restaurants get a lot of older people who think leaving $1 is generous (no offense to them, I realize their on limited budgets)...at least that was my experience and I was a good waitress!

Dollface said...

awwww... good luck with your job search... maybe try something you never thought of before... temping at a big fancy agency... or part time teaching... take a class!! who knows... :) xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Good luck with looking for a part time job! I wish I had the schedule to let me do something part time for some extra cash!

Intense Guy said...

I bet you would be a great Dog Groomer (maybe even a traveling one) - or perhaps a Pet Sitter - your place or theirs.

Look out Fido! a Yankee Girl is coming to give you a bath!

Carma Sez said...

well, that's a bummer.

With your drinking "expertise" you would definitely be good in the bartender field - seriously!

Hoping you find a new job that makes you want to go to work. I'm still in search of one of those myself; beginning to doubt their existence :D

Aubrey said...

I have some friends who have delivered pizzas, and you need to keep in mind that it is really hard on your vehicle. You're putting a lot of miles on it quickly.

JennyMac said...

Sending positive thoughts for the job search ahead.

and my word ver is MARDI which means Mardi Gras for you Yankee...that can only be a positive sign of things to come (although...do not apply for jobs that will compensate you in beads).

Vodka Logic said...

Good luck. I couldn't deal with retail and .... people lol..

Waitreses always have cash.

I just have a bit of each pay check put in an account for trips

xx

Vodka Logic said...

PS I see an email on my BB and it is you on my blog.. lol

Mandy said...

I wish you lots of luck. Perhaps you can just browse the want ads even if you don't think you'd start something right away. I'm sure they'll be lots of openings with the holidays coming up.

For some reason, I can picture you being a tour guide at some cool place in the city you live. A job as a waitress at a cool bar or restaurant might be fun too, like you said.

I am not sure I could work in retail unless it was a coffee shop or something where I'd see people quickly and then they'd be gone, LOL. When I couldn't find anything else, I'd always offer babysitting services for my neighbors.

I hope you find something you enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I worked at Barnes and Noble. Long hours - Little pay. Easy work though.

Tracy said...

I finally found the perfect part time job..... it is a blessing when you can find it

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Lots of luck on your job search!! :)

yellowdoggranny said...

well that sucks...you could work from home as a on line sex goddess...talk guys thru orgasims..ahahahah

yellowdoggranny said...

oh..try the $1 stores..they are usually always looking for part time..

William Dunigan said...

Greetings to all in that mighty name of "Jesus":
Each Christian of whom know him in the power of His resurrection...or, maybe I should say...those who are well acquainted with the fact, that He truly did come back from the dead...also appeared to his disciples.

Thomas was invited by Jesus to feel the nail prints within His hands. So, those who also have been convinced by only having His spirit to convince them, having never had the opportunity to feel the nail prints in his hands, as did Thomas: Jesus said blessed are those who have seen and then believed, but greater are the blessings that rest upon those who have never seen, but still believe.

I am a full time writer and an ordained minister. I have written three books so far. My first book: Reviving the dead church, by reminiscing the day of Pentecost. The second one is: Beyond the Golden Sunset and by the Crystal Sea. My third book: Off to visit the Prophet Elijah, on this one, the contract to publish has been completed and soon the book will be published.
Warm regards

William Dunigan
www.eloquentbooks.com/BeyondTheGoldenSunsetAndByTheCrystalSea.html -

Sassy Chica said...

Everything happens for a reason..Enjoy the next few months and as you said start fresh in the New Year, Best of luck to you!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Samantha said...

Wishing you the best of luck as you job search! Once we move this month, I'll be in the same boat with you. My only piece of advice is to not settle. I've settled in the past by taking positions I knew weren't really what I wanted and, sure enough, I ended up absolutely miserable. Lesson learned though!

Hit 40 said...

I pick waitress for you!! They can make some good $$$. I made a mint working at even fast casual places like Big Boys. I made more waitressing than teaching for about two years.