Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Regrets

I know tons of people who say they don’t regret anything from their lives. I find this very hard to believe. Though we would all like to say that we don’t consider them regrets because we learned from them, either way, they are still regrets. I don’t focus on my regrets very often, but sometimes they sneak up on me and I have to pay them a little attention.

Ten things that I regret from my life:

1. I regret not going away to college. I was young and scared and was not brave enough to leave my family and go where I really wanted to go, which was the University of Missouri at Columbia, or Flagler College in St. Augustine, Fl. Though if I had done that I would never have met Leland. I love my life with Leland but still wish I had the experience of going away to college.

2. I regret not looking for a new job a few years ago when I just started getting sick of where I work. Now the economy is bad and I’m going to be stuck here for a while.

3. I regret buying a Volkswagen after I totaled my Neon. It was a stupid, flashy purchase and I didn’t make enough money to support the payments. Plus, I didn’t know anything about Turbo engines. Had I known they like to fail after 2 years and need to be replaced, I would never I bought the car. I DO NOT regret trading it in and buying the Honda Element. I love my Element.

4. I regret not paying attention to the weight gain as soon as it started.

5. I regret trusting some people and considering them friends. I wish I could take back the secrets or personal feelings I have told them. I don’t like that these people who I was naïve enough to trust know so much about me.

6. I regret getting my first credit card. Big mistake.

7. I regret going to Roosevelt University and spending a ton of money I don’t have to get my college education. I could have gone to a state school and got the same education I got at the private school and spent way less money.

I guess I lied. I can only think of 7 things. Maybe that makes me lucky. However, I know I have a lot of living left to do and I know I will make more mistakes along the way and possibly end up with more regrets. Though I will do my best to keep the regrets at a minimum, I will not be so naïve to think that I will not have any more.

Some updates:
I have not been doing so well with my NY resolutions. I was sick for 10 days so I didn’t do any walking. My home computer is broken so I haven’t been doing any writing. I haven’t been to the library so I haven’t been doing any reading. I have a lot of catching up to do. I’m not giving up though. Leland is planning on getting our computer fixed this week so hopefully it will be up and running by February, and now that I am feeling better I will be back at the gym, eavesdropping on other people’s conversations. As for reading, I just really need to do it. I have plans to go to the library after work today so hopefully I will find some books that will keep me reading.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good point. I was one of those people that called a regret a "lesson learned" but in the end I do wish some stuff, i didn't do because the lesson I "learned" was common sense to begin with.

Good luck with picking up the NY resolutions! there is a lot of year left!! you have plenty of time to meet your goals!

Unknown said...

I can identify with several of the items on your list.
And I have to say ... I love my Element too. I've had it 5 years and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Summer said...

I kinda regret the college thing too...

Oh well, I'll go when the kids are in school. I hope.

Tracy said...

I think people hesitate to use regret because whatever we do, leads us to where we are, and most wouldn't want to change some of that in between.

I have a few myself.

Anonymous said...

I live without regrets, which is a pretty cool place to be. For a long time, I regretted not going to college, but in reality, I could go right now and choose not to, I'd rather have new lino. Regrets are a waste of time. :o)

Cut yourself some slack, girl!

Gucci Mama said...

I can identify with so many of these. Especially number 4...;)

Organic Meatbag said...

I regret abandoning my full college grant to the University of Louisville... I was still just a dumb kid that needed to get out of the structure of school life...

aladdinsane12 said...

oh man, i regret WAY too many things. most of my regrets go back to things i did to people when i was young(er) and stupid(er). i was never a "mean girl" or anything, but i did some horrible things to people in the past (unintentionally, but does that really matter?) maybe one day i can learn to live without regrets, but it ain't happening soon!

Intense Guy said...

We all have regrets. I regret not having the nerve to ask someone I really like out on a date when I was in college and she was single... Who knows what might of happened.

But you can't ... get hung up with the "should have's" ... it's hard ... but learn what you can from things and do the best you can with what comes down the road next...

*hugs*

Shell said...

#6 hurts me. I hate that I find out too late that I shouldn't have trusted someone.

Together We Save said...

You are wise to say your regrets... a release somehow. I agree with 'Shell' #6 gets to me too.... oh to have trusted people.

yellowdoggranny said...

I regret getting an 8-ball tattoed on my left titty...the 8-ball now looks like a tear drop...

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Oh I have many regrets as well.

I regret not finishing college! Also getting hat darn credit card. We paid them off and now we are back up there again!

People who say they have no regrets are full of shit!

Mandy said...

We definitely all have regrets. I regret that nasty meal at Ihop I ate two weekends ago. That did not sit well with me. I regret that I didn't find your blog sooner. I regret that I let these gray hairs take over my forehead. I regret lots of things. It's okay. We learn from our mistakes and move on. Tis life my friend.

As far as your NY Resolutions, you've got PLENTY of time. We're still in January. Don't worry. You can do it. Pick a crappy, rainy day to go to the library. And pick a sunny, warmer day to go outside to walk (not the gym). You don't need a computer to write. I know it makes it easier but I keep a small notebook with me and write it in at various, random times. You could do that.

Anyway, just live. Just enjoy. Just be you. The you we all adore.

jv726 said...

I definitely have things I regret in my life, I think anyone who says they don't is lying or delusional. I also regret not going away to school, and not dating more people before getting married. There are more but this comment might get kind of long ;) (And I know that sounds horrible about the dating thing, but I am really happy with the hubs so its all good :))
And I totally know what you mean about the Chandler/Phoebe thing!:)

Carma Sez said...

Oh, I have so many regrets I could unfortunately come up with 10 --

BTW, Honda Element fist pump :D

Also had a VW - ridiculously expensive to repair but the "pocket rocket" was sure good on turns vs. the Element!

Also never went away to school :-(

Glad you are feeling better.

Tracie said...

I don't have a huge amount of regrets in my life but getting my first credit card is def. one of the biggest ones!!!

Don't worry about the NY resolutions. Every day is a new one. Start where you are.

StarGazer722 said...

I can really identify with your list. I did go 900 miles away from my family for college and it was one of the best things I have done.
However pretty much everything else on your list hits home for me. The whole wishing you hadn't opened up and trusted someone you shouldn't have- that's something that I have huge regrets with as well.

Anonymous said...

I had a neon too. It got me through my Jr year of high school all the way to 1.5 years after college. That car caused me lots of problems in the end and now I have a pontiac vibe and I love it!

I have regrets too throughout my life. But they are lessons learned. I have learned A LOT of lessons!