Wednesday, December 17, 2008

This Really Frosts My Cupcake!

Today as I dropped Hot Husband off at work (we are a one car family so we do the carpooling thing) I noticed a very disturbing bumper sticker on the car in front of me. The bumper sticker read: If Mary were pro-choice, there would be no Christmas. I could not believe some small-minded, uninformed, and most likely ridiculously religious person printed those words on a bumper sticker. I have four problems with this bumper sticker and I've put them into a nice list for all of you.

1. For the sake of argument, let's say Mary was pro-choice. THAT DOESN"T AUTOMATICALLY MEAN SHE WOULD HAVE AN ABORTION! There are millions of people who are pro-choice who have not had abortions and would never have an abortion. They just want the right in case it was needed.

2. The bumper sticker could very well be based on a myth. No one has any idea if Mary and Jesus ever existed. I know, I know, religion is based on faith that they both did, but let's not play games, there is always a chance that they did not exist.

3. Mary was immaculately impregnanted by God. If God really is all great and powerful like so many people believe, don't you think he would know if Mary would have had an abortion if it was legal? And if he knew that she would have, don't you think he would have picked someone else to impregnate?

4. It's offensive. Why can't bumper stickers just be funny?

So that's my list. I'm getting angry just typing this so I think I'm going to pour a glass of wine and try to relax and think about all the smart people I know.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Amen! Errr...or...better put, my thoughts exactly! Hmmmmm......

mimi said...

I agree. I am pro choice, but it doesn't mean I would have an abortion. Don't get angry with them, they are not worth the effort. Have fun drinking the great wine. Love you

David Kames said...

What about
5. God doesn't seem all that bothered with what Mary thinks about conceiving by the Holy Ghost:
St. Matthew 1:18-21 has Mary "found with child of the holy Ghost" and the angel of the Lord appearing unto Joseph in a dream and telling him not to worry about marrying Mary - for she has conceived of the Holy Ghost (and not another man...)
according to verse 22 all this happened so "that it might be fulfilled that which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet"

St. Luke 1:26-39 has the Angel Gabriel appear to Mary and say in verse 31 "And behold thou shalt conceive in they womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus"
BEFORE
in verse 38 "And Mary said, Behold I am the handmaiden of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word."
But how much choice did she really have?

(Mark and John don't mention the fact that Jesus was conceived of the holy ghost)

What ever happened to informed consent?