In an effort to find ways to work out that are actually FUN, I have started rock climbing.
Actually, wall climbing. I used to do it sort of frequently years ago, but before two weeks ago I think it has been 4 years since the last time I had been climbing.
My sister Swizzlestickmama and I go to the local climbing wall and kick our own asses. We have decided to at least go every Wednesday because Wednesday is ladies night so we can climb for $5 and free rentals. Which is a steal. Swizzle started climbing long before I did and I KNOW I started climbing because I felt like I had to keep up with her. This has been a trend in my life.
As soon as Swizzle did it, I JUST HAD to do it myself.
I know people say that imitating someone is the sincerest form of flattery, but I am sure there were times that Swizzle wanted to tie me up to keep me from copying her yet again. Lucky for me she never did that. Instead, she would just laugh at how determined I was to follow in her footsteps. Or complain to my mother.
Here are just a few examples of things I have done because of my big sister:
1. Blogging. I had heard of people blogging and knew that she blogged, but for the longest time I just wasn’t interested. And then she gave me the URL to her blog and allowed me to read it. I think it was a week later that I called her and asked her to help me set up my own blog.
2. Reading. Yes, I loved to read all on my own, but I actually got a degree in English Literature because of Swizzle. Sort of. In high school she would read stuff by Allen Ginsberg and Williams Burroughs and I had no idea who they were. It killed me that she knew about them and I didn’t. So I started reading more. I started pulling books off of her bookshelf so I would know what she was talking about. At first I thought the books were stupid, but as I got older I started to like them a lot more, and then after going through 17 majors in college, I picked English. It was what I liked and is what I am good at. But if I wasn’t always trying to keep up with Swizzle I may have done something else.
3. Music. Though I do have my own taste in music, and I am sure there have been a few times I have taught her a thing or two about music, I have a collection of music that came straight from Swizzle. I would not listen to Kirsty MacColl, Kasey Chambers or Shannon Curfman if she didn’t listen to them first. I always love when I listen to these ladies with someone else in the car and they think I have the most awesome taste in music. Sometimes I will tell them I got it from my sister. Other times I take full credit for finding them myself.
4. Eating healthier. Swizzle is the queen of veggie burgers. At first I thought they were gross (this was well before I had ever actually tried one) but then I decided to give it a try. Now I prefer veggie burgers. Or turkey burgers. Swizzle was also my inspiration to try being a vegetarian. She is the queen at being an on-again, off-again vegetarian, and one of the times she was on-again, I did it along with her. Leland and I go through phases of what we want to eat and what we don’t want to eat, and we do that for different reasons. But the first time I gave it a try was all about my sister.
5. Rollerblading. Swizzle loves to rollerblade. Though I am sure it is tough to do now that she has two little monsters, when we were younger she was ALWAYS on her rollerblades. So what did I start doing? I started keeping them in my car so I could rollerblade whenever I wanted to. Sometimes we would rollerblade together, and sometimes I just call her to tell her I went rollerblading to rub it in.
I am sure this list isn’t even close to being complete, but making this list is starting to make me feel very unoriginal. Now that I am older, I definitely do things my own way and for my own reasons, but Swizzle influenced me a lot when we were kids. But I love climbing. It is an awesome cardio and muscle building workout. And I just feel very cool doing it…although the harness isn’t flattering at all. And often crawls up places it shouldn’t be.
Please check out Swizzle's link at the top of the page for her side of the story.
In other news, Mrsblogsalot has given me her own Must Read Award!
I was so excited to see that she thinks I am a must read. I knew I would lose some readers when I started posting about our 700 escapade, but I never thought that someone would think I was a must read because of it. THANK YOU SO MUCH Mrsblogsalot. You rock my world!
I agree. I found you yesterday and I'm totally intrigued by what you are doing. Anyone that stops following you is probably just jealous of your sex life!
That sex counter seems to be stuck... I hope things are alright with you and Leland!!
:) (I'm just razzin' ya)
I think Swizzle needs to copycat you with you (and Leland's) exercise plan. Including the walking one.
p.s., I'm glad you copied Swizzle and started blogging! I wouldn't have known you or your cool friends otherwise.
What a cute award!
So, you're sister is a cool chick, it sounds like...and so are you!
I have no idea who any of those singers are, so I'm gonna go check em on iTunes. Now I'M gonna copy your sister!
Very cute award! And thanks for joining TMC!!! Welcome! ;)
I totally do the same thing with my sister! Even my hatred of armadillos is modeled after my sister's. For real.
And I want to go to your climbing place- it costs me $20 to go to the place by me!
Your sister is an incredibly good influence!!! You would do well to follow in her steps it seems, who doesn't want to be healthier, more active and well read!! :D
I see you are up to 14 on your counter, you are rockin' it!
I love to rock climb too, but only on a rock wall. I don't do it often though, because the stupid kids at my gym are always monopolizing it!
Congrats on your award! You sexventure alone is a "must read!"
I SO wish I had a sister. Yours sounds awesome. Would you consider loaning her out?
I had to laugh about this because my sister used to copy everything I did. I used to get so mad at her! LOL
Swizzle sounds awesome and now, not only do you have sex and rock the blog, you have sex and rock climb!
Who's better than you? XoxoxoxM (-:
ps.. The award looks great on you!!!! Thanks so much for the shout out!
Congrats on the award!
I have 2 daughters and the youngest always wants to do what the oldest does. My sisters are both a lot older and I never followed what they did. They ignored me so I ignored them back LOL!
I was with you in the copy cat(ting) but now sadly my sisters and I barely speak..
I would think the 700 would get you followers not lose them.. some people. :)
I can't believe that anyone would stop reading because of your sex adventure! Anyone who is offended by it must be jealous! I always wished that I had a sister! I am jealous of you for getting to experience that! ;)
Wall climbing sounds fun. I would love to do that.
Oooo rock climbing sounds like so much fun!
I think that mimicry can be really one of the kindest things siblings do to each other. I am actually the oldest in my family and I find it really flattering if my sister copies something I do.
Oh and I definitely think that you are a must read as well!
You are so lucky to have a sister to copy from! What inspiration!
- Cougs @ www.cougar-tales.blogspot.com
I don't have a sister to copy. I'm just awesome all on my own;) Not awesome enough for my brothers to copy me though. Oh well.
If I couldn't read....I'd kill myself.or somebody
Great award... Not gonna mention the sex counter coz writing the word 'sex' could get me censored and I don't like to test the boundaries. sex.
Your blog is definitely a must read!
I am standing in admiration! Rock climbing is not going to happen. UNLESS I have the appropriate motivation. And that would be a hot chocolate male specimen with a rock hard a** , climbing above me so that I can just stare upwards while I am moving upwards!
For the dirty minds: Cold water!
I absolutely agree with Mrsblogsalot, you are A Must Read! As for you losing followers, well, who needs faint hearted readers? You ROCK! And they are missing out.
I love the sex counter! It challenges me to keep up, although I must say, I am WAY behind you. Unfortunately.
And I'm also glad you copied your sister's blogging trend. Otherwise I wouldn't have started and been so damn supported. And you wouldn't have this kick-ass follower number!
Congrats on the award :) !!!
I have something for you on my blog. :)
FYI I told my husband about your sex counter and he is interested. Why did I tell him?
698 to go!
Rock climbing sounds like a whole lot of fun and great cardio, just like you said. I have never tried it and haven't found a place (besides a kiddie one or the middle of the mall) where I can try it. Keep up the great work in doing things because you want to and you can. Just because you do things that are influenced by your sister, that doesn't mean that you don't put your own, original spin on it! I'm sure she envies many things about you. Who wouldn't? :)
Must be a thing with sisters, the copying. When we were little my Grandpa used to call my little sister my caboose becuase everywhere I went she went too! lol. Rock climbing or wall climbing does sound like fun! Plus that means that you guys get a girl's night every week!
Congrats on the award! :)
Hello! Thanks for visiting :-) Climbing sounds like fun - and $5 is a great bargain!!! I've never tried ..... yet!
I have two younger sisters and I would love nothing more than to have them fall in love with something just because I love it. It's yet to happen, and we are all adults now so the opportunity is slimming-but I keep hoping.
Exactly... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. She should be proud to have you as a sister!
I nominated you for the Sunshine Award today! It may be a repeat award for you, Yoda, but it's the first time I get to pass one on to you!! :) Check out my most recent post!
Post a Comment