I am sure you all puked in your mouths a little at that title, but please read on. I am sure most of you would agree that I do have The Best In-laws Ever.
There has been a lot of talk/complaining going on about in-laws lately, and I just couldn’t be left out of the party. The problem is, I love my in-laws. They are the best in-laws a girl could ask for. I wouldn’t want to change them for the world.
The reason they get the award as The Best In-laws Ever?
They stopped talking to Leland and I nearly 3 years ago.
If you want to know why they stopped talking to us, read the letter to my in-laws.
At first it was hard to deal with the pain of the whole situation that caused them to excommunicate us, but as time goes on it gets easier and easier. For me it was always easy. They treated me like I was dog poop getting eaten by maggots so I didn’t shed any tears at their decision to ignore our existence. I did, however, worry about Leland. I worried because no matter what they said or thought, I am a good wife. But over the past 3 years, Leland has showed me that he really doesn’t care either.
Leland’s mom has started calling him on major holidays and his birthday, but Leland so far has not called her back. I think he is happy that he doesn’t have to deal with them either. And the one time they did talk (which was shortly after I posted the letter to my in-laws) his mom didn’t want to talk about their issues, made bad comments about Leland’s brother, and never even asked about me. I guess she proved to him that she really is only thinking about herself.
Leland knows exactly how I feel about his parents, so it should come as no surprise when he sees the list I have made of why I am so lucky to have The Best In-laws Ever.
1. I don’t have to go over for awkward dinners where we pretend that we all like each other.
2. We don’t have to split holidays.
3. I don’t have to deal with a mother who tries to compete with me for his attention.
4. When the time comes, I won’t have to worry about her judging me for the way I raise my kids.
5. I don’t have to pretend that I like the birthday gift his mother has given me because I don’t even get the crappy gifts anymore.
6. The cool gifts she did give me during the short time that she was trying to like me I am now free to sell on eBay.
7. I don’t have to deal with his mom thinking that she knows Leland better than I do because frankly, she doesn’t know him at all anymore.
8. Other than the random updates we get from other family members, I can completely ignore the fact that his dad is a douchecanoe.
9. When I do get pregnant (because Leland and I have decided together that it was time, not because I was tricking him into getting me pregnant) I won’t have to tell them at all!
10. When they get old, I won’t have to worry that Leland is going to suggest that they come and live with us.
So you see, I really DO have The Best In-laws Ever. I used to have a million things to complain about when it came to Leland’s parents, but now I really do feel so lucky. They are far away, literally and figuratively, and they can’t touch me anymore.