Having a broken pelvis has really screwed up my life. Though I am feeling better and have been back to work this week, I still can't seemed to get things to go back to normal. So since I have been sitting on my couch, drinking a glass of wine and having a private pity party, I have decided to share with you all of the reasons having a broken pelvis SUCKS.
1. I hate not being able to take care of myself. When I was first injured I actually needed Leland to wipe me when I peed. It was a good thing that I didn't poop until 4 days after the injury because I was able to wipe my own ass. Sort of. I doubt it got very clean though.
2. I couldn't even take a shower by myself. I had to sit on a folding chair and Leland had to bathe me. When I took my first solo shower while standing Leland and I did a celebratory shot. Of course we waited till I was comfortably on the couch before we started drinking.
3. I missed 4 weeks of work. The doctor told me that a pelvis can take 6-8 weeks to heal. Lucky for me I am a medical anomaly and healed in just 4. But I still missed 4 weeks of work and have barely paid any bills this month. Now I have to catch up on paying my bills AND figure out a way to pay my medical bills. AWESOME.
4. I am getting more soft around the middle than I usually am. The very day I broke my pelvis I bought a new pair of jeans that are a size smaller than I usually wear. (high fives for me). Then I had to sit on my ass for four weeks and I am noticeably larger than I was before the accident. My smaller jeans still fit, and in fact they are a little loose, but my belly is definitely bigger. This does not make me happy.
5. Standing for long periods of time is still difficult. Today I stood for 3 1/2 hours at work. By the beginning of hour number 2 my entire body hurt. My feet were sore, my legs we aching and my pelvic area was on fire. When I got in my car to go home I melted into the seat of my car like it was the first time I sat in WEEKS.
6. It sucks feeling like I am not a productive member of society. Yes I am working again, but when I get home I have no energy to help Leland out around the house. He is like a single mother. He has to take care of me, take care of himself and the dog. He cooks, he cleans, he does the laundry. He mows the lawn and cleans up the dog poop. And he still goes to work and band practice. He does all of this with minimal complaining. I just wish that I can help to make things easier for him.
7. I feel like I have lost myself a little. I used to have so much energy. I used to want to write all the time. I used to be a better blogger. Now I only have energy to refill my wine glass and walk back to the couch. I wonder what happened to the spitfire I used to be. And I want to have her back. I am the most impatient person in the world and waiting to heal is the hardest thing I have ever done. I hope like hell that when I am all well and can workout again and have energy to do everything I used to do that the person I was will return. Minus the rollerblades, of course.