Sunday, August 2, 2009
Today is my one year anniversary with Leland. I cannot believe it has been a year. I cannot believe that we have been together for 7 years total. The time has flown by and I have enjoyed every minute. Okay, not every minute. No one enjoys every minute. But I have enjoyed most of them.
Here are a few of the things I have learned in this first year of marriage:
1. Leland is right most of the time. Being the more logical of the two of us, this makes sense. However,
2. Do not, under any circumstances, admit that your partner is usually right. He will use this against you whenever possible.
3. No matter how many times I ask him not to, Leland will boil birdy remains on the stove in an effort to collect its skeleton. Said boiling birdy remains will make my house stink for hours.
4. Even men have "ugly" days. I always thought this was strictly a girl thing, but Leland proved me wrong. Because of his ugly day, I realized how annoying it must be for him when I complain about the way I look. I only had to deal with him on this day for 15 minutes and I wanted to smack him around. I can only imagine how he feels when he spends entire days with me while I'm down on myself. I'm now trying to keep my ugly days to an absolute minimum.
5. Everything is actually ours. Yes, I bought the motorcycle for both of us to use, but I never imagined that he would be the one to get the kudos for it. I know it's silly for me to be jealous whenever anyone tells him how cool it is, but it bothers me sometimes. This whole "what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine thing" is hard to get used to.
6. We can go out and have fun with friends, or take weekend trips, but I always have most fun with Leland when we are home alone, making dinner, drinking wine and dancing in the kitchen.
7. One year ago today, I thought I was celebrating the happiest day of my life. I had no idea that every day we are together would become the happiest day of my life.