Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Puzzling

Remember when I told you that my computer was fixed? Well, apparently I lied. We thought it was fixed, were able to use it for a little while, and then everything went to shit again. We are in the process of actually getting it fixed this time. In the meantime, I will once again be sneaking my blogging time at work. I do this fairly frequently anyway, I’ll just have to do it a little more in order to stay tuned with all of you. And if I’m not commenting, it just means that the boss is in the office and I’ll catch up with you as soon as I can.

Moving on….

Leland and I are working on a puzzle. Yes, that’s right. I’ve just declared myself to be a really big dork. My coolness factor is going to drop by another 10 points when I drop this bombshell on all of you: we are having so much fun doing it. The puzzle that is.

We decided to get a puzzle a week ago. We went to Walmart, spent $9 on a 750 piece puzzle and started putting it together as soon as we got home. It has probably been about a decade and a half since I have done a puzzle. We are not very good at it. Because of our lack of puzzle skills, whenever we find a piece that fits together we get all excited and high-five. Sometimes we even do a little victory dance. Like I said, we are dorks.

Last night my parents and sister came over for dinner. My sister Melissa is a puzzle master. She literally looked at the puzzle for a second and was already putting pieces together. Since Leland and I are very territorial about our puzzle, she promptly got told by me to leave the puzzle alone. This was nearly impossible for her. Especially because we were all sitting around the table that the puzzle was on and she was sitting right in front of it. So I told her to switch seats with my mom so she could be a little farther away from the temptress that was the puzzle.

That lasted for about a minute until my dad got up. He was sitting very close to the puzzle and she just had to steal his seat. I got very close to tying her arms behind her back. I’m sure that if we left her alone she could have finished the puzzle in an hour. Since we are not as good, it’ll probably take us another week to finish. But that’s okay. We are having fun with it and enjoying doing something different together.

24 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

My boyfriend's dad was really into puzzles before he died. We'd go over and try to help him work them but WOW they were hard. He'd get the ones with TINY pieces...I just couldn't quite find anything that fit anywhere! Have you seen this site? Online puzzles. You can waste hours here!

http://www.jigzone.com/

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! Something new and different to do with the hubby!

Aubrey said...

I guess we're dorks too because we enjoy putting puzzles together. Can't do it too often though because the cat will jump on the table and knock the pieces on the floor.

Cathy said...

I love puzzles!! For real. I usually do them around christmas time, I have a snowman one I put together every year. My MIL also enjoys them so sometimes we do them together. OMG, I might be a bigger dork than you.

said...

Oh, fun! I used to be sooo addicted to puzzles. I'd do them with my grandmother when I went to visit. Which is probably much worse on the dork scale than a random puzzle session w/the hubs. Enjoy!!

Suzi Q said...

Puzzles are awesome! When I lived alone I used to have them on my kitchen table all the time! I used to do the ones with Jimmy Dean and Marilyn Munroe.

Intense Guy said...

Happiness is a good puzzle (not too hard - not too easy) with just the right number of pieces and a knock down gorgeous picture.

(The one in your blog banner would work)

Vodka Logic said...

I love puzzles too. Haven't done one in ages. Must rectify that.

Never done a happy dance when I found a piece that fit, so maybe not as big a dork lol....

xx

Beth Dunn said...

I love puzzles! I love games of any kind. xoxo

Mandy said...

Welcome to the land of Dorkville! It's good to have you with us. Meet my husband, King Geek. And I am Queen Nerd. Hahahaha!

No, I think it's great to stimulate the mind and do something at home that is cheap. As long as you occasionally drink while doing it, then you are SO NOT a dork.

My sister-in-law just told me over the weekend how she and her husband sit out on their patio deck and ask each other Trivial Pursuit questions nearly every night. I thought....oh crap, why haven't I ever considered doing that? And damn, if we play games I better be on her team next time! ;-)

Sassy Chica said...

You should have fun and high five and do victory dances together...after all you are working as a team!!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Dollface said...

I miss doing puzzles... I think J and I should go get one... and then do it on our dining room table... i love this idea, thanks! xxxooo

Carma Sez said...

Well, I think this is great!! Have fun with it. Embrace your dorkiness :D

Housewife Savant said...

I tell myself I'd like to have a puzzle project.
I tell myself it'd be fun to work on a Big Puzzle, like yourn, especially in the fall.
I tell myself that the cats would't steal puzzle pieces, eat puzzle pieces, and destroy puzzle pieces, but they would.
I tell myself that cats are delightful creatures, but when we're not looking they are sunzabeeches.

yellowdoggranny said...

i love puzzles but had quit dong them since annie thought they were somthing to play with..and tell you sis there is a law about putting other peoples puzzles together..or doing an unfinished crossword puzzle..bipping will insue.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Well, I must be different then everyone else...I can't stand puzzles!

Hit 40 said...

OMG!!! My new oven also freaking died. I should have wrote about that today on WTF wednesday.

Sorry about your computer. Our new oven is of course under warranty!!! But... how long will something that already broke last. Just ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I love puzzles!!! I would sit at home with a glass of wine and a puzzle and a friend or two and be completely happy!

Tracy said...

I haven't done a puzzle in years - but I am the "dorkness" of loving them too - even if I am not very good at it.

JennyMac said...

How fun...I just bought a little puzzle for my son for Halloween. How cute.

Melissa B. said...

I love puzzles, although I'm not so swift. My girls, though, can finish even the most complicated puzzle in record time. I'm thinking that the gene pool might be improving en mi familia...

rachaelgking said...

We do a puzzle every Christmas as a family. It's fun to be working on all different sections and then finally put them together. :-)

Meg said...

I love a puzzle but usually only ever have time to do them on vacations. Actually, that's a lie. I usually stare blankly at the TV when I'm not on vacation and feel guilty if I turn a TV on when I'm away, so puzzling it is! It's oddly satisfying and frustrating at the same time.

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling, I will start this comment by telling you how much I have missed you these past few weeks. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words and best wishes.

I am one lucky girl to have you as a friend; you truly are the gem in my teacup. I am now off to stroll around your blog to see what I have missed.

I truly missed you luv
Love & Hugs
Duchess